A popular breakfast dish, French toast is one of those go-tos for weekend and holiday mornings. Strawberries & cream French toast combines the beloved combination of fruit and creme with the much anticipated breakfast treat. Also known as eggy bread, French toast has been around since Medieval Europe. And while our house often feels Medieval, French toast is a favorite dish in any variation.
This treasured combination of strawberries & cream French toast is a frequent fare with my family. But the strawberries can be swapped out for raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, bananas, chocolate chips, bacon, and so much more. In addition, the cream cheese can be replaced with a custard, hazelnut spread, whipped cream, lemon curd, peanut butter, or even Mascarpone cheese. Finally, the strawberry preserves can also be switched for a contrasting or complementary flavored jam, jelly, or honey. The options are truly endless.
Watch the video making French toast.
We made this French toast with Challah bread but you can use any kind of bread that you like. Challah bread tends to be softer and sweeter than most breads. Brioche is also good for this dish.
Start by placing 2 slices of bread on a plate and spreading cream cheese on the inside of one of the sides.
Next, spread strawberry preserves on the other side. You can, of course, use jam or jelly here as well. And again, you could swap out strawberries for any other berry or even a berry mix.
Now, add the strawberries.
Once you have the bread filled, it goes into the egg wash. Let it sit in the egg mixture for a few seconds and then flip it over. Let it sit again before adding it to a heated pan with melted butter.
Cook until the side is browned then flip and cook the other side.
This dish can be garnished with powered sugar, whipped cream, and sliced strawberries. It can also be served with ginger apple syrup
- 1 loaf Challah bread
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- Place 2 slices of bread on a plate. Spread cream cheese on the inside of one of the sides. Spread the preserves on the inside of the opposite slice. Sprinkle strawberries over the preserves. Press the 2 slices together.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the eggs and milk. Dip the prepared bread slices into the mixture. Allow it to sit for a few seconds and turn it over.
- Meanwhile, add a pat of butter to a heated skillet. Once butter has melted, place the prepared bread into the pan and cook until golden brown. Flip and brown the other side.
- Serve warm.