If you have a Cracker Barrel around you then you will probably understand when I say that a hash brown casserole makes breakfast the best meal of the day. Plus I just love when I can combine everything in one bowl – mix it – and pour it into a baking dish. Whether I bake it then or refrigerate it overnight, throwing a delicious dish together in just a few minutes is my idea of a simply perfect breakfast.
With diced potatoes, shredded apple, cream of chicken and mushroom soup, sour cream, cheddar cheese, maple sausage, and onions, who would not like this casserole?
Watch the video making Apple Hash Brown Casserole.
First of all, preheat the oven to 350° F and butter a baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix well.
Turn into a baking dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
Finally, return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
- 2 pounds frozen hash brown potatoes
- ⅔ cup condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter 13” x 9” baking dish. In a large bowl, break up potatoes. Combine the remaining ingredients reserving 1 cup cheddar cheese. Mix well. Turn into baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.